- I’m not a developer. Can I still use FacetWP?
- Does FacetWP integrate with WooCommerce?
- Why are my facets loading slowly?
- Can I use FacetWP to filter user listings?
- Which page builders does FacetWP support?
- Why is my facet empty?
- What should I do if the indexer stalls?
- Why do my facets disappear?
- Why is my layout different and/or images missing after filtering?
- Why does FacetWP prefix its permalink vars with “fwp”?
- Why isn’t FacetWP working with WP Rocket?
- Why are automatic updates not appearing in my dashboard?
- Does FacetWP work with my theme?
- Does FacetWP support WordPress multi-site?
- Does FacetWP support pretty permalinks?
- Do you offer custom development services?
- How fast is FacetWP?
- Does FacetWP support PHP8?
I’m not a developer. Can I still use FacetWP?
See our Getting Started screencast. If the video doesn’t make sense to you, then you’ll probably need to find a developer to assist you.
Does FacetWP integrate with WooCommerce?
Yes! FacetWP supports any plugin that uses post types to store products. WooCommerce, Easy Digital Downloads, and Jigoshop are all compatible.
One caveat: some page components (e.g. pagination and sorting) may need to be replaced with FacetWP equivalents.
Why are my facets loading slowly?
FacetWP itself is exceedingly fast. It normally takes a fraction of a second to load results. However, every WordPress request (including AJAX) is only as fast as the slowest plugin.
AJAX requests are ignored by most caching plugins, so the load time you’re seeing with FacetWP is your server’s true speed.
If FacetWP takes a while to load, there’s likely a larger underlying issue. Make sure to disable any unnecessary plugins, and ensure that your server has sufficient resources.
We have a free Caching add-on that may help on high-traffic sites. Please read the installation instructions carefully, since it requires a few extra steps.
Can I use FacetWP to filter user listings?
Yes! Professional licenses include the User Post Type plugin, allowing you to map users to a post type, and therefore filter users 🙂
Which page builders does FacetWP support?
FacetWP integrates with Elementor and Beaver Builder. More info »
FacetWP does not officially integrate with Divi, WP Bakery, or Oxygen Builder. Your mileage may vary, but it’s not something we support.
On these non-supported builders, you could always try to use FacetWP’s built-in layout builder for the actual result listing 🙂
Why is my facet empty?
- Have you hit the “Re-index” button?
- Does a valid template exist on your page?
- Is your post type searchable (exclude_from_search = false)?
- Turn on Debug Mode and make sure that FacetWP is using the right query.
- For some custom fields — like Pods relationship fields or serialized data — you may need to tell FacetWP’s indexer how to properly index the data.
What should I do if the indexer stalls?
FacetWP’s indexer includes built-in resume functionality (learn more). It should resume automatically after a minute or two, assuming you keep a browser tab open.
If your site is behind a .htpasswd login, the indexer might be blocked from resuming. In these cases, you’ll need to pass the access credentials to FacetWP.
If your site is hosted on WP Engine, try adding the following line to wp-config.php:
define( 'WPE_GOVERNOR', false );
Why do my facets disappear?
If using the CSS-based template approach, make sure that your facet shortcodes are *outside* of the
facetwp-template container element.
Why does FacetWP prefix its URL vars?
We use prefixes to prevent conflicts with WordPress and other plugins. WordPress has many reserved query vars, and strange things happen if FacetWP tries to use them.
Why is my layout different and/or images missing after filtering?
Why is FacetWP breaking with caching enabled?
If you’re using a caching plugin like WP Rocket, make sure that HTML minification and script deferring is disabled.
Why are automatic updates not appearing in my dashboard?
Make sure that you’ve activated your license (Settings > FacetWP > Settings). If you’re still not seeing updates, go to Dashboard > Updates, then click the
Check again button. Sometimes WP’s update cache need to be flushed.
Does FacetWP work with my theme?
Probably. There’s tens of thousands of themes out there. Tell us which theme, and we’ll try to figure out whether the theme is compatible.
Does FacetWP support multi-site (MU)?
FacetWP can be installed on sub-sites, but cannot filter across different sites. Please also remember that each sub-site counts against your site limit.
Does FacetWP support pretty permalinks?
We are occasionally asked whether FacetWP supports pretty URLs, e.g.
/make/audi/model/a4/ instead of
FacetWP only supports GET-based permalinks. “Pretty” permalinks quickly lose their appeal as more selections are made. Plus it may actually be bad for SEO, since search engines would see a bunch of different URLs with the same content.
That’s probably why most large eCommerce sites stick with GET-based permalinks 🙂
Do you offer custom development services?
We do not current offer paid implementation services. For custom development (site buildouts, design tweaks, other customizations) we recommend Codeable.io.
How fast is FacetWP?
FacetWP was built with performance in mind. We’ve structured our data storage and have analyzed every query to make sure that it runs as efficiently as possible.
Ultimately, the speeds depends on your server, site setup, and amount of content. If your server is overloaded (i.e. too many heavy plugins) or underpowered, then obviously FacetWP won’t run at its peak. Other factors include:
- the total number of results in your listing
- the listing display itself (how efficient is the display of each result)
- the number of active facets on the page
- the facet types in use
Does FacetWP support PHP8?
Yes, FacetWP fully supports PHP 8.x.
The minimum supported version is PHP 5.6. The PHP Stats page helps us determine when to drop support for older PHP versions.