What’s new in FacetWP 3.8
FacetWP is a major rewrite that contains some potentially breaking changes, especially if you’re using any custom hooks that depend on jQuery. Please make sure to test 3.8 on a staging site.
Removal of jQuery dependency
FacetWP 3.8 no longer requires jQuery. We’ve added a UI setting to let you continue loading jQuery if needed (for backwards compatibility).
This is a major change, so we wanted to provide a way to downgrade if needed. You can download the prior branch (3.7.4) within the facetwp.com account dashboard.
New JS helper library
.each(), jQuery uses
(key, val), but fUtil and native JS both use
(val, key). This ordering difference means that you may need to tweak any custom jQuery loops.
fUtil is less than 2KB minified, compared with jQuery + Migrate which adds up to ~35KB.
More JS rewrites
- fSelect – we’ve rebuilt this library from scratch to be even faster and lighter.
- fDate – introduced in 3.7.1, we’ve continued to refine and optimize the code.
- fTip – we built this tooltip library to replace
jquery-powertip, which relied on jQuery.
- fComplete – this new autocomplete library replaces
jquery-autocompleteand is blazingly fast.
- FacetWP now sends raw data via AJAX for greater efficiency (and less overhead)
- Update checks are now made over HTTPS
- We’ve added “Settings” data to Debug Mode for easier troubleshooting